Our primary activity is conducting fieldwork to study man’s vernacular knowledge and skills on architecture. Moreover, social system in order to design and build the house, the way of managing and creating everyday life on the house after the construction are also our main objective.
We keep the research results and primary data as archives and apply them to actual architectural projects to create better housing, dwelling, and environment.
Our motto is “leap before you look!” 見る前に跳べ！ We simply believe nothing begins without jumping or leaping. Stepping forward while making full use of imagination is the common philosophy among the members who are gathering in our laboratory.
Our laboratory needs person who try to wrestle unknown things. Those who are interested in the cross-cultural understanding and have intension to overcome a new problem by themselves, please look in the laboratory.
- Study on housing and dweling culture and development of sustainable ways of conservation of traditional cultural landscape, following activation of village society in mainland Southeast Asia
- Study on housing and dwelling culture and village activation project in Indonesia
- Research on the housing culture of the Mimi River basin in the Kyushu mountainous range, and devising a proposal for regional revitalization
- Research and proposal for utilization of vacant houses in Miyakojima city, Okinawa Prefecture
- Development of a renovation method for houses for improvement of living environment in Klongtoei area, Bangkok, Thailand
- Development of adobe housing using black cotton soil in East Africa
- Study on whereabouts of children in modern mega cities
- Architectural planning based research on courtyard in modern Korean house
- Empirical research such as Kinkyo and aging in place
- Design based on field work and design survey